Monday, January 23, 2012

Over halfway there!

Yesterday was the 2 week mark since Steven's been gone. Since he comes home on the 3rd, there's not quite 2 weeks until he comes home, so we're over halfway there.
Things without him have been okay. I'm handling it a lot better then I thought I would. The boys have actually been little angels for me. Gavin has taken a nap everyday that he's been gone, so he's not such a cranky little boy. Which is wonderful and Rhys has been such a huge help with his brother.
We've also been invited out to dinners, and family home evenings with friends and people in the Ward. It has really been amazing to feel so much love for our little family. We even received a batch of home-made cookies from the Missionaries here last night. Can't get much better then that. =) So far my favorite thing has been the Traditional Burns dinner we were invited to attend. We got to celebrate the birth of Robert Burns and hear some of his work read aloud. You also eat Haggis, Neeps, and Tatties. Which is just Haggis, Potatoes, and Turnips. It was surprisingly good and even Gavin loved it. Rhys was hesitant to try the Haggis, but he did eventually try it. I only got him to eat the one bite, but he was a good sport. He did however eat the rest of it, so I was proud of him. The best part of the evening was when they "served" the Haggis. A guy wearing full Kilt garb brought it in followed by a bagpipe player. Then there was a small "blessing" on the Haggis which was a poem read about it. There was a ceremonial cutting of the Haggis, and then they took it back to the kitchen with the bagpipes again. Everyone had to stand while it was entering and leaving, and it was just a fun atmosphere. I'm really happy I got to experience it, and Steven's a wee bit jealous that he wasn't able to come to. I did find out how to make it though, so I will have to make it for Steven sometime when he comes back.
Steven's been doing great. He is loving London and the Globe especially. He keeps telling me that he's so excited to show it to me. That's something I'm very excited for too. He misses us, but they've kept him so busy that he doesn't have a lot of time to think about it during the day. He says he's learning so much, and that's really all that I could ask for.
We found out that he got cast as Gloucester in the production of King Lear that they're putting on at the Globe. He's sharing the role with a fellow student, but he got the "more fun" half of the character. Its pretty much the role he was expecting, and while its a good role he's a little sad he won't be able to challenge himself a little more with something that's not quite so "him" but we're still excited for this great challenge that has been given to him. They have less then 2 weeks to put the show together, so it will be interesting to see how busy he will be.
I found out that our friends are going to be able to watch the boys for me, so I'll be able to go and see the show myself. It will be a quick trip.. I'm planning on just riding the train down that morning, seeing the show, and then coming back the next day. But I just couldn't miss Steven doing a performance on the Globe Theatre. =)
There's not much left to say, and I don't have any pictures. Steven took the camera so he could get some shots of London, so hopefully I can put up some of those when he comes home.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are all having such a great time! It would be awesome if you could make it back down to London when I'm there so we could run around and see the sights :) But I also understand that it would be kind of tough to get away for it. That's ok; we'll party it up in Glasgow! Keep having a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete