Friday, August 3, 2012

The tale of 8 adults, 2 children, and one tiny flat!

A few weeks ago we had a visit from our friends Tasha and Jen and their 4 friends. They were backpacking through Europe, staying in Hostels and such for several weeks and we were their very last stop.  It was so fun to have them here. I had briefly met Cathy a few times and had heard stories of Sousa, Chase, and Brittany so it was like we were already friends when they got here.
They came on Friday, the 13th of July in the morning. Since there was 6 of them, we had the boys sleep on the floor in our room and we had them spread out in the second bedroom and the living room. I felt so bad that some of them had to sleep on the floor, but I think after hostels, having a clean floor to sleep on isn't such a bad thing. =)
We found out rather quickly that they like Indian Food, so we had fun showing them our local Take away. We also had them try Irn Bru, a very popular soft drink over here, that they all loved. (I think they had more Irn Bru then anything else.) 
Steven's show opened that night, so Chase and Sousa stayed and watched Gavin for me so that I could go with Rhys, Tasha, Jen, Cathy, and Brittany to see the show. It was the first time in a LONG time that I wasn't as stressed about  getting home quickly since they were staying with us. Normally I feel so bad for our babysitter that I try and cut the evening as short as possible. It was refreshing to get to just enjoy being out.
Saturday Steven got to take the group to see the Cathedral and Necropolis. Gavin was napping, so we stayed behind. I hear they really liked it. Steven also took them to see George Square, and we found out that  they were smack in the middle of their Gay pride celebrations. Steven said there were people everywhere, food, music... it was quite the party. So, I guess they got to experience a lot of true Glasgow! 
Steven also tried to show them the School, but of course it was closed for Summer. Luckily, at that point I was able to take the boys into Glasgow for us to meet everyone for dinner. There's a Chippy right by the School that we like to go to, so we went there. Its called Jack McPhee's and its definitely one of the places that we're going to miss. 
Sunday started out stressful for me. Steven had a special performance of As you like it. Someone had hired them to come and perform it, so he was gone for most of the day. Then I was also teaching Relief Society which can be stressful by itself. Jen, Tasha, Cathy, and Sousa all came to church with me so it was nice to have bodies to help with the boys. They were also very helpful in participating in my lesson so it went nice and smoothly. That afternoon I made everyone Haggis, Neeps, and Tatties for dinner. We wanted to make sure they got a taste of some traditional Scottish cuisine.I think they all liked it pretty well. But, I think my favorite part of the trip was that evening. We all sat around talking, sharing memories, and it was just really fun. I had forgotten how much I enjoy having people over and just having fun. We used to have our friends over all the time in Cedar, and even though we've done it a few times here, its just not that common. So it was refreshing, but it also made me a little homesick. In a good way, I think.
They left on Monday evening, but before they could go we wanted them to get to see a Castle since they hadn't gotten a whole lot of Castle experience in their few weeks of traveling. We took them to Crookston Castle, since its so close to us. It was raining when we first set off, but it stopped and turned quite nice outside as we were there. I think Gavin enjoyed it the most, since I let him just wander wherever he wanted to go. I had his leash on him, but I was giving him free reign. It was cute to see how much he loved wandering around the grounds and climbing in the Castle. Hopefully there will be another really nice day, and when we're bored we can take the boys again so they can keep exploring.
I never thought we could fit 10 bodies into our flat and have it work, but it really did. It was a fun trip and we're so glad that they were able to fit us into their schedule. We're even more excited to have new friends from it! =)





















No comments:

Post a Comment